Yesterday (October, 26, 2006) I found that the nameservers for my blog (ns0.xname.org, ns1.xname.org) are not responding.
Today the following message appeared on xname.org:
XName currently DOWN
XName is temporarily closed since 08:00PM CEST yesterday evening. We were experiencing the largest DDoS we ever had on both ns0 and ns1 IP addresses, forcing our upstream providers to cut off XName servers in order to preserve their other customers.
We’re working hard in order to have at least one DNS server answering ASAP, and we already negotiated with a premium transit provider to host one of our DNS servers shortly.
Currently my blog is back online, available by its name, and not by IP.
But I am looking for other free NS-record hosting servers (xname-like). I would appreciate if people comment with their experience on managing this problem. I temporarily allowed comments for anyone without registering (but with moderation).
Meanwhile there are two places for Russian speaking folks to register secondary DNS: ns2.trifle.net, secondary.net.ua. Soon I’ll register secondaries there, leaving primary on xname, which was a stable service up until yesterday’s DDoS attack they had.
Update: Sat. 28. 12:00 – ns0 is up and running, serving all zones correctly
Update: Mon. 30. 18:00 CEST – ns1 is up and running, reachable from Association Kazar’s network peers (ns1 IP is still blacklisted on upstream transits backbones)
xame.org is back online, fully functional.
See the List of free DNS services.
I’m staying with xname, though did add a couple of secondaries for better fault protection.
See the comments to this post for new technical information about the DDoS attack, including IP addresses of the attackers and some packet statistics. Thanks Boris for the new information.
. On the 14th of January, 2007, I got the following letter from XName team:
DDoS attack on both DNS servers
Our both DNS servers IPs – ns0.xname.org and ns1.xname.org – are under heavy DDoS since 5PM CEST today.
Consequently, both of them are unreachable – except very intermittently.
We’re working with our transit providers to solve this ASAP.
Next day (2007-01-15), XName was up and running:
Resuming normal operations
Since 2AM CEST both ns0 and ns1 were answering correctly – many thanx to
our transit providers for their help on this issue.
the total outage of our service was 7 hours…
both ns0 and ns1 DNS servers are under DDoS attack since 10PM (gmt+2) yesterday (September, 30th), ns0 is unreachable since 6AM this morning (October, 1st: total saturation of our uplink).
ns1 is fine but was off 3 hours today (October, 1st), between 2PM and 5PM.
I wonder what kind of a mentally sick person would attack the free service…
For any further X-Name attack updates and history, please refer to the comments below.