18th October 2014
Sygic, Waze, Osmand, Navfree, Navigator, or (Nokia’s) Here Navigation beta: which is a better offline navigation solution for your Android?
- no way to store maps on the card
- navigation isn’t free (there is a 7-day trial)
- not offline, needs internet
- has nice social features
- Allows maps on SD
- Free navigation
- Allows only 10 maps; for Germany, this means only 10 federal lands
- Allows 1 country map for free
- Not sure about SD support
- Works good
- Unlimited maps on SD with payment
Here Navigation beta
- stores maps on the SD card; voices are stored in the phone’s memory
- navigation is free, both online and offline
- you can download the entire Earth navigation maps for offline use (over 20 GB as of 2014-11-26)
- navigation test: works, but in my case GPS signal was slow to acquire and lost for some seconds quite often; could be the device, though.
Will update as soon as I am forced to really use any of these (usually I have my Garmin with me).