30th May 2009
We are pleased to announce the release of GNAT GPL 2009, the Ada Toolset for Academic users and FLOSS developers. It introduces many new features including:
- Ability to generate byte code for the JVM
- Improved support for the .NET Framework
- Addition of the Ada-Java Interfacing Suite (AJIS) that enables native Ada code to be called from Java:
- Availability on the Mac OS X (64 bit) platform
- Automatic C/C++ binding generators
- Addition of the GNAT Component Collection (GNATcoll) providing new APIs that can be extended by the user community:
GNAT GPL 2009 comes with version 4.3.1 of the GNAT Programming Studio IDE and GNATbench 2.3, the GNAT plug-in for Eclipse.
It is available for the GNU Linux, Mac OS X (64 bit), .NET, JVM and Windows platforms.
GNAT GPL 2009 can be downloaded from the “Download” section on the new Libre website:
I wonder if the new JVM bytecode generation feature was frequently requested by Ada developers, or is just a move towards popularizing Ada as a highly capable programming language. Either way, it’s good.
Hopefully, I will find time and a matching project to finally learn Ada properly – since a couple of years I believe Ada is a very good programming language. And the D language is better than C and C++ (holy war, anyone? )